I still pack my obnoxiously large hats, gold necklaces, jeweled sandals and printed maxi dresses in the off-chance we'll "go out to dinner" or take a fabulous evening boat ride. These treasured items never leave my meticulously-packed suitcase. In the off-chance I do get to wear my large hat, I am often shunned by those around me, despite my desperate need for "sun protection" (and glamour!). Big hat = big personality.
From khaki shorts to a screen-printed Hanes beefy-T, I am never too cool to sleep in a cabin or "rough it" on a "hike". I apply sunscreen in large doses and mascara in small doses. I'll wear lumpy braids or even go out with wet hair, possibly even in pajama pants or slippers (I have hard and fast rules of never wearing any of the things in this sentence outside of my home).
Growing up with my parents and taking trips across the American midwest in our RV, I have far too many dorky, non-smiling photos in my repertoire. Why couldn't I have dressed on my camping vacations the way ironic hipsters do now? Off-the-shoulder raw-cut sweatshirts with black skinny jeans cut into shorts. Dirty converse (no socks) and a messy bun. Ray Bans and a holey vintage tank top. Woven bracelets and souvenir tees cut into crop tops. Instead, my dad could never seem heed my one and only request, "Don't get my shoes in the picture!"
| Mammoth Hot Springs, 1999 |
*By "utility purse" I hope you know I meant fanny pack.
No comments:
Post a Comment