Monday, August 27, 2012

lessons in greed: why it’s better to have two of everything you love


I’m a creature of habit. I find an outfit that works and I go with it, for weeks at a time. Then I look at pictures months later and wonder what I was thinking. Were a hat AND a necklace really necessary? But so goes the vicious cycle.

One of my habits is to buy the things I love in every version that it comes in. For me, this started with my mom’s advice, continued through my job working in Nordstrom’s BP. department (camis in every color! Employee discount!) and has now extended beyond clothing and accessories to beauty products, food & drink and odd little items like Sharpie minis and mini sewing kits. I also like mini things, but that’s another blog post/problem entirely.

Currently, clothing-wise, here’s what I have on repeat and at least two of.

(If I had already taught myself Photoshop, I would have a fab, brightly-colored collage featuring me wearing these items and looking ironic. Coming soon!)

*Sam Edelman booties – I’ve posted about these before, yes I know I have a problem and you will have to pry these boots off of my feet without unzipping them if you think I’m going to give up now. Even in the dead of summer I am wearing socks and these perfect little suede boots.

*Gold stud earrings – copied from my extremely stylish boss, though her earrings are real gold and mine just make my ears itch.

*High-waisted twill shorts from Urban – not the angular, hole-y cutoff kind, the classy kind that are hemmed and have a foldover hem. I have never and will never wear cutoff shorts. Is "have never" proper grammar?

*Basic v-neck tees – slightly oversized and tucked into shorts. Made by Nation, of course. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

*Denim jacket/vest – though I’m convinced I look like some combination of Bon Jovi/Bruce  Springsteen/a semi-truck driver, I’m also convinced that I look good in a denim jacket/vest.

*Obnoxious scarves - of which I have a wide variety of colors, lengths, fabrics and prints. Also, I have a scarf-hoarding problem. I buy vintage silk ones, even if they have bad coffee stains on them, simply because they are “pretty”. I gravitate towards soft rayon ones in crazy prints and colors, hang them lovingly in my closet and then wear the same ones to death. A sno-cone-esque tie dye and chevron print in different shades of tan are my favorites du jour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment